Monday, November 30, 2009

Spanxzilla: Annie. Slutting on broken glass.

I started writing this post on 11/9/09 to comment on how Annie Lennox, "Walking on Broken Glass" gets mixed in with anything. But I stopped myself from saying anything because I could only vaguely think of a couple weird connections. So I have been waiting Elphians until I had a solid case. Today is that day.

- Ms. Lennox will understandably play between Aqua, "Barbie Girl" and ATC, "Like a Drum"

- But she will also jump in between kids songs "Hakuna Matata", Tim Rice and The Sounds of Sesame Street "Elmo Would you Drive My Car?"

- And to top it off today, she came up first in the queue which is great. Even if that song is kind of Pandora-slutty it's nice to listen to. But she was used to lead into a grinding, squealing guitar run starting with "Ratamahatta" Sepultura and ending with Rob Zombie's "Thunder Kiss '65" (which has become my all time favorite squealing, guitar song because of the solo that he does at the end of the live track).

To some up, I have nothing against Annie Lennox. I'd just like to hear more of her music. And I think it's strange that broken glass has a list of genomes with such a high level of versatility. I wonder how many other songs exist like this.

Addition:

- she has also showed up between indie artists (feminine men singing with guitars) Damien Jurado, "Inevitable" and Iron and Wine's "Sodom, South Georgia".

I've got to know. What does that song have that makes it so matchable and are there other songs like it?

No comments: